Iping

A small village set on the River Rother, has a fine medieval bridge.  It was the location for the start of HG Wells’ book ‘The Invisible Man’ – or at least this was named after Iping. It has an unusual later church rebuilt in 1886 in sandstone. Iping Mill produced paper until the 1920s. The village is set on a Roman Road. Iping Common nature reserve, which is excellent restored heathland, is to the south of the main road.