Cocking

Situated on and around the main A286 road, and at the foot of the South Downs, which rise to nearly 250 feet here. The South Downs Way is accessible from the village. Much of the area remains in the ownership of the Cowdray Estate.  The church of St Catherine of Siena has a splendid setting at the foot of the Downs and dates from Norman times, c 1080. It has a Saxon font and some 13th Century wall paintings. Surprisingly, the church wasn't dedicated until the 20th Century, when the name St Catherine was found engraved on one of the bells.  The village still retains an excellent village shop.


St Catherine of Siena Church


Cocking History Column

A column containing 48 low relief bronze panels that wind their way downwards in a spiral recording history from the Bronze Age at the top to the Millennium at the bottom. Twisting around the column between the panels is a narrow ribbon of national history giving context to the Cocking events. Beneath the column on the Portland stone base are inset two bronze relief parish maps facing north and east.